Preventing Storm Damage
Every spring, we in the Midwest prepare for the season of storms. Unfortunately, many of us end up dealing with the damage caused by these natural disasters.
Despite the weather's unpredictable nature, there are still a lot of things that homeowners can do to protect their homes and property.
What can you do to help minimize storm damage? A little can go a long way.
Here are a few easy items to inspect before the next storm hits:
- One of the most important steps that homeowners can take is to replace damaged or missing shingles.
- Loose siding? The same rule applies, it’s important to ensure that your siding isn’t damaged.
- Keep the gutters clear. Even if you cleaned the gutters in the fall, make sure to double check that they are still clear this spring. This will help keep the water flowing away from your home.
- Inspect your property to make sure water from gutters and runoff will be flowing away from your home. The grade of the lot should work to move water away into a ditch, drain or other retention area.
- Check your sump pump. We have a helpful blog post you can view to help with this one: Sump Pump Checklist.
- Are your windows and doors properly sealed? In the event of tornadic winds, a small opening can allow enough wind inside to comprise the roof.
- Trim your trees. Regular trimming of the trees on your property can also help protect your home and property.
- If you know a storm is coming, you may not have time to make repairs on everything listed above, but simply identifying items that can become projectiles and cause damage can help. Take a walk around your property and move lawn furniture, tools, flowerpots, or any other yard debris into your garage, shed, or indoors.
While these steps may help save your property, the most important step keep your loved ones safe. Have a storm safety plan in place, including a safe location, like a basement or storm shelter, to ride out the storm.
When the storm is over, inspect your property for any damage. If damage occurs, SERVPRO of St. Charles City is ready to help. Wherever you find a storm you’ll find SERVPRO green trucks and green shirts. Our motto emphasizes our work: “Faster to any size disaster." We specialize in helping families and businesses recover after small and large storms.