Prevent Water Damage While You Are Away
Have you ever traveled for an extended period of time and wondered what was going on in your home in St. Peters,MO? In order to prevent the necessity of water pipe repair, it is important to properly monitor your home while you are away.
Steps To Prevent Water Damage
In order to prevent water damage from a broken pipe while away from your home, here is a list of things you can do to prevent coming home to a house that is flooded.
- Make sure that your heat is on to prevent pipes from freezing while you are away.
- Have someone check on your home while you are gone or utilize a digital home monitoring system that can be viewed using your smart devices.
- Check all the pipes in your water system and heating system before departing to make sure there are no cracks.
- Ensure that your heating system is working correctly, that all necessary repairs have taken place and that the oil tank is filled if your home is heated by oil.
- Look at the connections to your appliances to determine they are secure and there is no chance of a leak occurring.
It is important to take the necessary steps to prevent a leak and do your best to ensure that water pipe repair is not needed when you return home.
What if Water Damage Occurs?
Even with all the preventative measures, there is no guarantee that you will not come home to a broken pipe or some sort of water damage. If something has flooded while you were away, it is important to take the proper steps to dry your home and personal property. Shut off the main water valve if the leak has occurred in a pipe in order to prevent further damage. If the amount of water damage is severe, a professional water mitigation company can help to restore your home and prevent future issues.
Sitting water can be harmful to your health and home. Prevent it if you can, and don’t be afraid to ask for help with water pipe repair when it is necessary.